Alexander Ivanovich Bastrykin was born in Pskov on 27 August 1953, to the family of workers and veterans of the Great Patriotic War.
His father, Ivan Ilyich, was a Navy officer and fought for the Northern Navy. His mother, Yevgenia Antonovna, was an anti-aircraft gunner and fought for the Krasnoznamyonny Baltic Navy, was awarded.
Mr. Bastrykin has lived with his family in the city of Leningrad since 1958.
In 1970, Mr. Bastrykin graduated from school No 27 in Vasileostrovsky District of Leningrad with advanced study of the Russian language, history and literature.
In 1975, he graduated from the law department of the A.A. Zhdanov State University of Leningrad (SLU) and in 1980, a postgraduate course at the same University.
Alexander Bastrykin is Ph.D. in Law (1987), topic of his thesis was “Problems of interaction between the rules of national and international law in the field of Soviet criminal proceeding”.
He became professor in 1991.
Service in the Leningrad police force:
- 1975-1978 – served in the Leningrad police as a crime detection inspector, an investigator. Here Mr. Bastrykin joined the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in 1977.
Teaching in the State University of Leningrad:
- 1978-1980 – postgraduate student of law at the A.A. Zhdanov State University of Leningrad under the tutorial of honored scientist Professor I.F. Krylov at the department of criminal procedure and criminalistics headed by honored scientist Professor N.S. Alekseyev;
- 1980-1988 – teacher at the department of criminal procedure and criminalistics of the State University of Leningrad.
Social and political activity:
- 1980-1982 – secretary of the Committee of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League at the A.A. Zhdanov State University of Leningrad;
- 1982-1983 – secretary of the Leningrad City Committee of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League;
- 1983-1985 - secretary of the Leningrad Oblast Committee of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League;
- 1986-1988 – undersecretary of the Party Committee at the A.A. Zhdanov State University of Leningrad.
Administrative, scientific and teaching activities in universities in Leningrad:
- 1988-1991 – Director of the Institute for improvement of investigators under the USSR Prosecutor’s Office, head of department of investigating tactics (Leningrad);
- 1992-1995 – Chancellor and professor at the Saint Petersburg Law Institute;
- 1995-1996 – Head of the Transport Law Department and professor at the Saint Petersburg State University of Water Communications;
- 1998-2001 – Director of the Northwestern branch (Saint Petersburg Law Institute) of the Russian Law Academy of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation (Saint Petersburg).
Service in internal troops of the RF Ministry of the Interior:
- 1996-1998 – Assistant commander for legal work of the Northwestern district of the internal troops of the RF Ministry of the Interior – head of the law office.
Service in the RF Ministry of Justice and Ministry of the Interior:
- 2001-2006 – Head of the Northwestern Federal District Directorate of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation (Saint Petersburg);
- Since June 2006 – Head of the Central Federal District Directorate of the Ministry of the Interior of the Russian Federation.
Service in the RF Prosecutor’s Office:
- Since October 2006 – Deputy Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation; a member of the Anti-Corruption Council under the president of the Russian Federation (appointed by the Order of the Russian President dated May 19, 2008);
- 22 June 2007 - First Deputy Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation – Chairman of the Investigative Committee under the Prosecutor’s Office of the Russian Federation.
Service in the Investigative Committee of Russia:
- On 4 October 2010, by Order of the President of the Russian Federation No 1204 Mr. Bastrykin was appointed acting Chairman of the RF Investigative Committee;
- By Order No 39 of the President of the Russian Federation dated January 14, 2011, Mr. Bastrykin was appointed the Chairman of the RF Investigative Committee.
Ranks, titles, positions:
State Counselor of Justice, 1st class.
General of Justice of the Russian Federation.
Member of the National Anti-Terrorist Committee (Order of the President of the Russian Federation dated June 26, 2013, No 579).
Member of the Panel of the Anti-Corruption Council under the President of the Russian Federation (Order of the President of the Russian Federation dated July 28, 2012, No 1060).
Member of the Treasury Council under the President of the Russian Federation (Order of the President of the Russian Federation dated July 31, 2012, No352-rp).
Titles of honor and awards:
Honored jurist o the Russian Federation.
Alexander Bastrykin has state awards which include:
Order “For Merit to the Fatherland”, IV class.
Order “For Merit to the Fatherland”, III class.
Order of Alexander Nevsky.
Order of Honor.
Order of Friendship (Armenia).
Mr. Bastrykin has medals and honorary weapons, as well as awards of some foreign states.
Mr. Bastrykin is Honored Worker of Justice of the Russian Federation, Honored Worker of the Prosecutor’s Office of the Russian Federation, Honored Worker of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation.
Scientific and teaching activities:
Alexander Bastrykin is the author of more than 150 scientific papers dedicated to relevant issues of the theory of state and law, criminal and international law, criminal procedure and criminalistics.
He is professor of the department of the theory of state and law at the All-Russian State University of Justice of the RF Ministry of Justice; professor of the department of the theory of state and law at the O.Y. Kutafin State Law University of Moscow;
Member of the Academic Senate of the State and Law Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
Member of the Thesis Board for special subject D 212.232.66 under the Saint Petersburg State University;
Member of the Peter the Great Academy of Sciences and Arts, the Russian Academy of Social Sciences, the Baltic Pedagogical Academy.
Member of the Union of Writers of Russia.
First Vice-President of the All-Russian NGO Outstanding Military and Naval Commanders;
Honorary Chairman of the National Association The Union of Investigation Veterans;
Member of the Board of Trustees of the Diplomatic Academy of the Foreign Ministry of Russia;
Member of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation on assistance to revival and development of cultural and spiritual heritage Maly Theater;
Chairman of the advisory council of the RF Investigative Committee for helping orphans and children left without parental care;
Cochairman of the Public Coordination Council under the RF Investigative Committee for helping children from southeastern Ukraine.