In Khabarovsk Region, man convicted to life imprisonment in homicide of woman and sexual violence

The evidence gathered by Khabarovsk Territory Directorate of the Investigative Committee is seen as sufficient by court to pronounce a sentence to 36-year-old man, accused in homicide and sexual violence under Item J, Part 2 of Article 105 and Part 1 of Article 132 of the RF Penal Code.

The investigation and a court have revealed that the accused in winter of 2014 travelled to the city of Bucheon, Korea from the town of Komsomolsk-on-Amur as a tourist. On 28 February 2014 he met an unknown woman on a street. The man started following her and entered with her a house, than an elevator. In the lift cage, he took a belt and started strangling the woman by the neck. When the woman blacked out, the man dragged her on 13th floor and committed violent sexual actions against her. Then he strangled her to death. After the crime, the man visited a bar. On the next day (1 March 2014), he returned home to Komsomolsk-on-Amur from Korea.

The crime was solved due to well-planned operations of investigators and criminalists of the Khabarovsk Territory Office of the Investigative Committee, Khabarovsk Region Police Department, as well as Korean law-enforcement agencies. The accused didn’t confess to a crime and refused to testify. Despite this, investigators did a lot of efforts to find out all the details of the crime. Investigators of the Investigative Committee recreated the actions of the accused minute by minute, thanks to surveillance cameras recordings, provided by Korean colleagues.

A court convicted the man to life imprisonment.

It is worth noting that in June 2015 the man was found guilty of attempted murder of two or more persons under Part 3 of Article 30 and Items A, I, Part 2 of Article 105 of the RF Penal Code. The investigation and a court have revealed that from April 2012 to May 2014, the man attacked women. 6 residents of Komsomolsk-on-Amur became his victims. He always used similar method: he followed a single woman or already waited in the entrance of a house. Then he strangled his victims. In several cases women blacked out, others managed to resist: they cried and knocked at the doors. Noise rendered by victims attracted attention of residents and the man had to flee the scene. All of his victims remained alive. During investigation the man refused to testify. All victims identified him. Involvement of the man into crimes was proved by numerous evidence, including genotype tests, which showed that instruments he used to strangle his victims had his sweat and grease depisits. A court convicted him to 8.5 years in maximum security prison.