Early in the morning of 14 November 2017, the Sochi police got a report that there was a fire in a block of flats (former dormitory) in Chebrikov Street. After the fire was put out, a female dead body was found in a flat on the third floor. The Krasnodar Territory Office of the Investigative Committee has opened an investigation in reckless homicide under Part 1 of Article 109 of the RF Criminal Code.
According to preliminary information, the fire started in a two-floor construction standing near the block of flats and then the flame spread to the building. Some eye-witnesses called firemen. The dead woman was the resident of the building. Preliminary cause of death is carbon monoxide inhalation. The investigators are working to confirm the number of the affected by the fire.
By now the fire has been put out and the investigations team has started examining the scene. They are questioning the residents of the building, have ordered forensic technical and medical examinations and are working to find out all the circumstances surrounding the incident.
The investigators are going to assess the actions of both those responsible for fire safety in the building and inspectorates and officials. The investigation continues.