A fire started at 5:30 AM on 28 January 2018, in a room in a 5-storey dormitory in the settlement of Novoomsky in the suburbs of Omsk. 5 people died in the fire, while 7 others sought medical aid. The Omsk Region Office of the Investigative Committee opened an investigation in reckless homicide under Part 3 of Article 109 of the RF Criminal Code.
According to preliminary information, the fire started in the room on the 4th floor. About 5:30 in the morning, neighbors smelled smoke. They carried a 23-year-old young man from out the room and called firefighters. A 36-year-old woman, her 12-year old daughter and 14-year-old son, as well as her neighbors - women aged 44 and 23, died of carbon monoxide inhalation. The 23-year-old young man, in whose room the fire started, was taken to hospital with another 6 people seeking medical aid, 2 of whom were hospitalized.
According to preliminary information, the cause of the fire was ignition of an electric cooker, which the 23-year-old young man was using at about 5:20 AM to cook. More precise causes of the fire will be determined by a fire technical examination.
At present, investigators of the Omsk Region Office keep on examining the fire scene and are questioning witnesses and the victims. Other investigative operations are underway to find out all the circumstances surrounding the incident.