In Khabarovsk, man guilty of sexual assault and murder of girl sentenced to life imprisonment

The evidence gathered by the Khabarovsk Regional Directorate of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation was considered by the court to be sufficient to convict a 32-year-old man under Paragraph J of Part 2 of Article 105 (murder); Part 1 of Article 131 (rape); Part 1 of Article 132 (sexual abuse); Part 1 of Article 158 (theft) of the Criminal Code of Russia.

The investigation and the court established that in the evening of August 2, 2018, an 18-year-old resident of Zheleznodorozhny District of Khabarovsk left her house and disappeared. To locate her whereabouts, large-scale search activities with assistance of law enforcement officers and volunteers were carried out. On August 5, 2018, a bag with the girl’s body was found in the woods of Zheleznodorozhny District of Khabarovsk.

Due to the well-coordinated investigative activities and criminal intelligence and surveillance operations, the 32-year-old man was detained. Under the weight of the evidence gathered, he confessed and provided details of the offence. He said that on the evening of August 2, 2018, he was at work – at a construction site located in Zheleznodorozhny District of Khabarovsk. The man worked as a security guard and lived full-time in a site container. The perpetrator took some alcohol and went outside to smoke; in the meantime, the 18-year-old girl was passing by. The accused attacked her and committed the sexual assault. To conceal the offence, he strangled the victim. Then he stole her cell phone. Following that, he returned to his site container, grabbed a shovel and a bag, and then took the body into the woods where buried it.

Officers of the Khabarovsk Regional Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia actively participated in the detection and investigation of the offences.

It should be noted separately that in 2005 the man had been convicted for a sexual offense committed against a minor. At the time, he had been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

The court sentenced the man to life imprisonment in a special regime colony.