The Main Investigations Directorate over North Caucasian Federal District continues investigation of a probe under Article 109 of the Criminal Code of Russia (infliction of death by negligence) into death of five people and infliction of health injuries to four people as a result of cooking gas pop in an apartment building.
According to the investigation, on January 14, 2019, a voluminous pop of air-gas mixture from an open gas stove burner occurred in an apartment in Khabarova Street of Shahty City of Rostov Region. The big gas concentration in the apartment was caused by inadequate ventilation. Investigators established that the extractor hood in the kitchen was equipped by forced electric ventilation. In this, there was no natural ventilation. All of this let to explosive concentration of air-gas mixture.
Investigation in interaction with officers of Shahty FSS Directorate and Shahty Internal Affairs Directorate established that in 2016 the owner of the apartment concluded a contract with Gazprom Gaz Distribution PJSC subsidiary in Shahty for technical surveillance of internal gas equipment, under which the company is obliged to carry out its inspection at least once a year.
The last maintenance of gas equipment and inspection of the ventilation channel of the indicated apartment by locksmith that could reveal violations were carried out in 2016. However, no measures to replace forced ventilation with natural were taken. During the following two years, the chief of the in-flue gas equipment service didn’t send gas service workers to check on the gas equipment.
Therefore, actions of the chief of the in-flue gas equipment service and the locksmith appear to be offensive under Part 3 of Article 238 of the Criminal Code of Russia - provision of services failing to meet requirements to safety of consumers’ life and health, entailing severe health damage and death of over two persons. They are subject to criminal proceedings.
The investigation is ongoing.