Criminal investigation into the robbery and murder of a 100-year-old veteran of the Great Patriotic War completed in the Republic of Bashkortostan

The investigative authorities of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation in the Republic of Bashkortostan have completed an investigation into a probe against a 41-year-old resident of Kiginsky district and a 33-year-old resident of Chelyabinsk province, charging him with committing offences under Paragraphs B,C of Part 4 of Article 162 (robbery), Paragraphs C,E,G,H of Part 2 of Article 105 of the Criminal Code of Russia (murder of a person who is known by the killer to be helpless state, committed with especial cruelty by a group of persons under a preliminary conspiracy, attended by robbery).

In July 2020, the body of an elderly man was discovered at his private home in the village of Leuza by neighbours. The perpetrators turned out to be former Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia (FSIN) officers with the skills in committing a crime without leaving traces. They made an effort to stay off the radar after what they had done, which is why the crime remained unsolved for almost two months.

Thanks to the organized painstaking work, investigative and operational measures by the investigators and forensic experts of the Bashkortostan Republican Investigative Department and the Main Criminal Investigation Department of the Investigative Committee of Russia together with the criminal investigators from the republic's Interior Ministry and the Main Forensics Department of the Investigative Committee of Russia, as well as the regional department of the FSB, the suspects' identity was established.

The investigation established that the two previously acquaintances of men, knowing that the victim kept a large sum of money in his house, decided to kill him and steal his money in July 2020. They broke into the veteran's house at night and inflicted multiple bodily injuries on him, including stab wounds and blows to the head. The man died of his injuries on the spot. The attackers then stole a total of about 2.4 million roubles and fled. They split the money in half. Part of the stolen money was later recovered from a location indicated by one of the accused.

Thanks to well-trained interrogation tactics, one of the accused confessed to the robbery under the weight of the evidence gathered, stating that he was not involved in the murder. His accomplice pleaded not guilty to the charge.

More than 40 forensic examinations were carried out, and around 300 people were checked for criminal involvement during the investigation.

The indictment for this probe is now approved and the case will shortly be sent to court for trial on the merits.