Member of Gubdensy gang Timur Akubkov convicted for attempted terrorist attack on Red Square in Moscow

The court has recognized the evidence collected by the Main Investigations Directorate of the Russia’s Investigative Committee as sufficient to convict Timur Akubekov. He is found guilty of crimes under part 2 of article 209 (banditry), part 3 of article 30, paragraph “a” of part 2 of article 205 (attempted terrorist attack), part 3 of article 222 (illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transportation, or bearing of firearms, its basic parts, ammunition, explosives, and explosive devices committed by an organized group).

The investigation and the court have established that in October to December 2010, in Dagestan the leader of Gubdensky gangster group Ibragimkhalil Daudov formed and took leadership of a gang in order to commit a terrorist act on 31 December 2010 on the Red Square in Moscow.

According to the roles Akubekov had to organize the moving from the hotel of actual doers of the terrorist act on the Red Square in Moscow Zeynap Suyunova and Zavzhat Daudova. After that he was supposed to take from them a cellphone and money of “jamaat” given to them by the gangsters, show them the place of explosions and supervise the accomplishment, informing another member of the gang Shamil Payzulaev. According to the plan of the crime Suyunova was the first to set off a handmade explosive device attached to her body near people enjoying themselves on the Red Square on New Year eve. Daudova was supposed to wait for the police to arrive on the scene and blow herself beside them.

On 30 and 31 December Akubekov agreed with Suyunova and Daudova the time of leaving for the places of explosions by text-messages. On 31 December 2010, he called to the firm Megapolis Taxi and ordered a cab for 8 p.m. Akubekov didn’t know that Suyunova and Daudova by mistake had been accommodated at the hotel OOO Sports Shooting Club of Military Hunting society – Russian sports non-governmental organization instead of the hotel OOO Lux Alyans. For that reason, Akubekov sent the car to the wrong address. After that he texted that he would be waiting for them on 31 December 2010 at 8:30 p.m. at the café Shokoladnitsa at the subway station Kitay-gorod.

On 31 December 2010, Suyunova and Daudova, waiting for the taxi, put on the belts with explosives. Daudova put the safety catch in advance as she was afraid to be detected doing it on the place of explosion. But the device went off spontaneously. Daudova died of the explosion on the spot. The hotel manager was injured as a result of the explosion. The cottage was destroyed. The damage equaled to 20 million rubles. Suyunova as well failed to accomplish the act as she lost a safety catch to her explosive device at the explosion site at the hotel which made it impossible to set off the charge. In addition, having lost the cellphone and not knowing the location of the Red Square, she couldn’t contact Akubekov to receive explicit instructions.

Approximately at the same time Akubekov learned that Suyunova and Daudova hadn’t showed up when the taxi had arrived. Having learned from Payzulaev where the suicide-bombers were, he took a taxi to the right hotel, but seeing the police, escaped. On 28 January 2011, he was detained in Makhachkala in Dagestan by the police on suspicion of involvement in the terrorist attack.

The court has sentenced Akubekov to 10 years in a maximum security correctional facility.