On 8 June 2015, at 11:50 PM, a report was received from Alagir District police department that 66 people aged between 2 and 63, including 18 small children aged between 2 and 12 had been taken to Alagir central district hospital with diagnosis of gastroenterocolitis. Two minors are in medium grave condition, others are in satisfactory. The investigating bodies of the Russia’s Investigative Committee for North Ossetia-Alania have opened an investigation in a crime under part 1 of article 238 of the RF Penal Code (providing work or services that do not meet safety standards).
According to preliminary information, most of the victims live in a block downtown Alagir, where yellow water started going from tapes on 8 June 2015 and the people drank it. In the afternoon some of the minors were nauseated, they started vomiting and having diarrhea with their body temperature rising up to 39 degrees. As of now 261 people applied for medical aid, 211 of them were hospitalized including 125 children.
Specialists of the affiliate of the Center of Hygiene and Epidemiology of Alagir District have taken samples of water from different sources and sent them to run epidemiologic, virus and chemical tests. Documents on monitoring the quality of drinking water were requested from the authorities of Alagir District and Alagirkommunresursy. The town administration was also recommended to organize the update of the population on the possible danger of drinking water from the water supply system before the source of the poisoning was found.
Investigative operations are underway to find out all the circumstances of the incident. The investigation is ongoing.