In Kemerovo Region, three local citizens found guilty of a number of offenses, including murders and robberies

The evidence gathered by the Kemerovo and Kuzbass Regional Investigations Directorate of the Investigative Committee of Russia has been found by the jury trial to be sufficient to sentence three residents of the regional center. Depending on the role of each, they have been found guilty of committing offenses under Paragraphs A, C, D of Part 2 of Article 163 (extortion); Paragraphs A, D, E of Part 2 of Article 161 (mugging); Paragraphs A, C of Part 2 and Paragraph C of Part 3 of Article 158 (theft); Paragraphs A, C of Part 4 of Article 162 (robbery); Paragraphs A, D, G, H of Part 2 of Article 105 (murder of two or more persons, a knowingly pregnant woman, committed by a group of persons and attended by robbery); Part 5 of Article 33 and Paragraphs G, H of Part 2 of Article 105 (aiding to murder committed by a group of persons and attended by robbery); and Part 1 of Article 222 (illegal traffic of firearms) of the Criminal Code of Russia.

The investigation and the jury trial established that, in February 2015, said three citizens of the regional center had conspired to commit robberies against heavy-truck drivers and to use a handgun and knives to intimidate them. The group had gone to the motorway near the town of Topki to implement their intent. An SUV with transit numbers parked at the side of the road had caught the sight of the criminal trio. The perpetrators had decided to seize the moment. Having checked the number of people in the car beforehand, the young men had agreed to kill them and then take possession of their property. Acting as planned, one of the accomplices had shot at the driver and the woman had managed to climb in the back seat. Realizing that a car could pass by at any moment and notice them, the perpetrators had driven the car to a deserted place, where they had searched the salon and then stabbed the woman, which had proved fatal. At the time, the victim had pleaded not to kill her and told about her pregnancy. Three mobile phones and about 20 thousand rubles had been the perpetrators' prize.

It is notable that the stolen phones had been intentionally dumped by the accomplices in different parts of Topki. Following that, the perpetrators had fled the crime scene. The bodies of the victims had been discovered by local residents. Despite the complex of urgent measures taken, it had not been possible to solve the crime on hot pursuit.

In addition, in May 2015, the defendants of 32 and 29 years old had committed another murder. They had conspired to take over the car of their friend in order to sell it later. They had known which road the man had been taking home, so they had picked him up near the Plotnikovo settlement. They had stopped the car owner and started chatting, whereby the 32-year-old accomplice had gripped the victim's neck from behind and strangled him. Afterward, they had loaded the victim's body into the trunk and taken it to Novosibirsk Region, where it had been left in a forest belt, and the car had been taken away by the perpetrators. The victim's relatives had reported him missing. During the search and investigation activities, it was established that the victim had been in contact with a 32-year-old Kemerovo resident before his disappearance, but the man sought could not be located. Later, his car was detected in one of the garage boxes in Kemerovo, and then investigators discovered that the man sought had been killed and his body was found in Novosibirsk.

Due to the competent work of investigators and operative officers of the Kemerovo Regional Main Directorate of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, in January 2016, it was established that a 32-year-old man hiding in Novosibirsk had been involved in the murder. He was detained and taken to Kemerovo. The investigation revealed that the detainee had also been involved in the murder of two people in the car and that he had not committed it alone. Following that, the investigators identified and apprehended the remaining participants in the crime. Upon request of the investigation, they all were put into custody.

During the investigation, 11 persons were recognized as victims, about 110 witnesses were questioned, 29 forensic examinations were conducted, and the case file comprised 31 volumes.

The jury found the men guilty of the incriminated offenses. On the basis of their verdict, the court sentenced the 32-year-old man to life imprisonment in a special regime colony, the 29-year-old man to 24 years of imprisonment in a strict regime colony with 1 year's limitation of liberty, and the 34-year-old man to 21 years of imprisonment in a strict regime colony with 1.5 years' limitation of liberty.