Alexander Bastrykin hears results of recent few hours of operations at St. Petersburg metro explosion

Chairman of the Investigative Committee has held another briefing today in Saint Petersburg to hear reports of investigative team’s leaders on the results of the past few hours of work to investigate the explosion of a metro car between the Tekhnologichesky Institute and Sennaya Ploshchad stations.

The Chairman was reported that joint efforts of the Investigative Committee, Federal Security Service and Interior Ministry established that the explosive device may have been set off by a man whose remains were found in the third car of the train. His identity is not being disclosed in the interests of the investigation.

As of now there are 14 dead, while the number of the injured and their injuries is being determined by necessary medical examinations.

Another unexploded device had been found by metro employees at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya station. They called specialists who defused the bomb.

The investigators continue questioning witnesses and are studying footage from surveillance cameras. A number of forensic inquiries have been ordered including explosive, DNA and others.

The Chairman of the Investigative Committee is supervising the investigation.

Quick and coherent efforts of all services of the Saint Petersburg Administration, law enforcement agencies, Health Ministry, Ministry of Emergency Situations and other agencies involved in responding to the bombing were noted at the meeting. All the said agencies are now taking all possible safety measures.

The Investigative Committee yet again warns the public that all truthful information on the progress and results of the initial investigation can be given by Committee’s official spokespersons alone. Premature disclosure of any information on people involved in the crime may harm the investigation.

Official spokesperson for the RF Investigative Committee                                                                  S.L. Petrenko