As a result of coherent actions of criminalists of Tver Region Investigations Directorate Emergencies Ministry employees find sawn-off gun from which deputy of regional legislative assembly was shot

The Sawn-off gun from which deputy of Tver Region Legislative Assembly Nikolai Popov had been killed was found on 7 October 2015, 2 km from the murder scene in the direction of the village of Mozhaytsevo in Torzhok District, Tver Region as a result of coherent work of criminalists of the Tver Region Investigations Directorate and employees of the Russian Emergencies Ministry.

The dead body of deputy of Tver Region Legislative Assembly and chairman of the Mir collective farm Nikolai Popov was found in the morning of 23 September 2015 on the outskirts of the village of Spass, Torzhok District, Tver Region lying near a Suzuki car with a gunshot wound to his chest. The shooter managed to get unnoticed into the back seat of his car while Popov was closing the gates of his house. When the car moved off the house, the suspect shot at the man from a smooth-bore sawn-off rifle. The wounded deputy managed to get out the car, but the shooter hit him on the head with a butt of a gun at least four times. During an interview the suspect said that he had committed the crime because of personal hostile relationships he had had with the victim.

Following the killing of the Tver Region Legislative Assembly deputy the Tver Region investigating bodies of the Russia’s Investigative Committee opened an investigation in crimes under part 1 of article 105, part 1 of article 222 of the RF Penal Code (murder, illegal circulation of firearms).

The suspect was detained on 2 October 2015 as a result of joint efforts of the investigators of the Tver Region Investigations Directorate, criminalists of the Investigative Committee Central Office and operative officers of the Tver Region Office of the Russian Ministry of the Interior and the Main Crime Detection Office. It is a 65-year-old resident of the village of Mirny, Torzhok District, Tver Region, who worked in the collective farm under the direction of Popov. Initial investigative operations, including thorough examination of the crime scene, correct versions and modern forensic inquiries helped to identify the suspect and solve the crime in a short time.

On 3 October 2015, a court granted the request of investigators and ruled to remand the accused in custody until 23 November 2015.

Investigative operations are underway to find out all the circumstances of the crime, collect and consolidate the evidence.